Kites, Buddhist statues lining up the road, Bali I already had a good feeling about you as I left the airport. Just like me, Bali Travel can be crafted to your liking.
A thing I have noticed while traveling is that with every city I have begun to not make plans. Maybe it’s being lazy, maybe it’s that I’ve been to way too many cities. Maybe research can be exhausting. This was the case for my Bali travel. I selected my first stop from a friends Bali guide. I landed on Ubud. The Yogi in me was already sold on Ubud as it’s known for its yoga. The vegetarian in me was easy to convince as vegetarianism is common in Bali. Canguu was an easy sell when I wanted to spend my days in the beach. Both Ubud and Canguu did not disappoint.
Table Of Contents
Plan Your Bali Visit
Book Your Flight
Book Your Stay
Rent A Car
Tours & Activities
Since I wasn’t sure how long I really wanted to stay I opted for four days. This gave me enough time to do as much yoga as my little heart desired and bought me time on deciding what city to visit next.
Yoga In Ubud
My intentions for visiting Ubud were simple; do yoga! I went to an awesome yoga studio that wasn’t “Yoga Barn”. Why? I heard that Yoga Barn was super cramped, hard to get into classes and staff apparently aren’t that friendly. I opted for the “Ubud Yoga Center“. I don’t have anything negative to say about this place. Both staff and students are amazing and class sizes are small. And, you can reserve far in advance to guarantee you get into classes. Ubud Yoga Center is beautiful and I was able to practice a lot of different yoga techniques, types and classes. Tried spiritual healing, sound healing, as well as your typical bikram and vinyasa classes.
For three days that I was is Ubud, I would wake up early, go to yoga, grab meals between yoga, sleep, and repeat.
Top Places In Ubud
I went to Ubud for it’s Yoga but did end up doing some touristy stuff. There really is more to do in Ubud.
- Tirta Empul – Hindu Balinese Temple with a ritual bath
- Tegenungan Vandfald – Popular cascade with waterfall
- Rice Paddies – Green wavelike rice terraces with trails
- Kopi Luwak – See and taste the most expensive coffee of the world which derives from civet cat poop. Worth trying at least once in your life
- Explore more activities and attractions HERE.
Squeezing in some spa treatments which will do wonders to your body if you do take part in some yoga while here.
Eateries I Recommend In Ubud
I ate at some really great vegetarian places so below is a list of the spots I discovered while I was out there.
Earth Cafe and Market Ubud – Awesome vegetarian and vegan food with tons of options including a vegan hotdog and schnitzel
Lotus Cafe – Delicious food, tons of vegetarian and non vegetarian options and a beautiful view of rice paddies
Ubad Mama Warung – Affordable, delicious, healthy food spot right by Ubud Yoga Center.
After 4 days I opted to… head to the beach (no surprise there). While I was loving yoga, missing out on the beautiful beaches in Bali would be regrettable. So to Canguu, I went.
While uber is frowned down on by cab drivers it is available and much easier to get you to Ubud and Canguu or any other city without having to deal with haggling.
Canguu for me could be described as a beach and sunset binge fest topped with endless food options and a fit for a queen workout to counterattack all the yummy food I was consuming. I will point out that Canguu is a great place to learn or go surfing at so if that’s something you fancy ensure you add this to your list.
Top Places In Canguu
- Tahan Lot & Temple – Head there to see the sunset. You won’t be disappointed
- Echo Beach – Great place to catch some waves, drinks and sights
- Berawa Surf Break – Lounge in one of the many spots along the beach (Tip: If you consume something you typically don’t have to pay to sit in the lounge chairs and under the umbrella’s.)
- Canguu Studio – While I wasn’t able to catch the workout classes offered here I got lucky and during lunch time I was able to rent the studio for an hour for only $3.45. A steal for a studio to workout in all to myself and feeling super VIP.
- Just Explore – Hop on a scooter and just ride around and explore. You never know what you will find and it’s fairly easy to get to other surrounding cities to see other areas right outside of Canguu.
- Explore more activities and attraction in Canguu HERE.
Eateries I Recommend In Canguu
- Green Ginger Noodle House – For dinner.
- Betel Nut Cafe – For dinner.
- Canteen – For breakfast.
- Creamery – For dessert. Single served home made batches of ice cream.
- Hungry Bird Cafe – A must for breakfast.
- Also grabbed drinks at this great spot along the beach near Berawa Surf Break. The owner is called monkey man as he can climb coconut trees like a monkey to get coconuts. I can’t remember the name of this place sadly. If you ask around, I’m sure locals know who I’m talking about and where to find his bar.
Final Bali Travel Remarks
After Bali, I can say that it’s not really about hitting the touristy places that a guide book or travel site tells you. What is more important is what you want to get out of traveling. For me, it was yoga and beaches in Bali. Figure out what is yours and find it where ever you go on your holiday.